Monday 23 July 2012

The Lovely Bones Review


My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973. My murderer was a man from our neighbourhood. My mother liked his border flowers, and my farther talked to him once about fertiliser.
I knew he was going to kill me. I did not realise then that I was an animal already dying. 


My mum first suggested this book to me and I took it with an open mind but with a hint of caution because books I've read that she's read in the past I haven't understood a word of! But this was different, Alice Sebold writes in a style that is understandable for all ages if it wasn't for the adult content anyone could read this.
he The Lovely Bones follows 14 year old Susie as she sees the world now she's dead, watching as her family try to cope with her death. And waiting for her murderer to come to justice, seeing her friends, family grow up something she never did and trying to come to grips with her death.

This book. was. amazing. It completely and easily channelled a fourteen year old views into words. I felt how Susie felt and was excited to see her murderer brought down. All of Susie feelings were thoughtful and just it's hard to explain how you interpret and read Susie's emotions I really admire Susie for feeling no anger that she didn't get to live her life this is what makes Susie so special that she accepts things.

In the book I felt sorry for a lot of people Susie's family, friends, Ray Singh (her almost-boyfriend) but the two main people were Susie and Ruth. Now Ruth is a very different character when Susie was alive they were friends Susie was probably her only friend Ruth lived on the outside a drawer, unique. But when Susie dies she's the one person she touches on her way up forever changed Ruth as she grows up goes about trying to discover the dead and their purpose.

The Lovely Bones has put a lot of thoughts and ideas into my head one especially the love of a farther how Susie's was so committed same couldn't be said for her mother who upset me towards the end of the book. One of my favourite characters had to be Lindsey even as she love her sister she tried to move on to build a life for herself and stay strong for her family. Soon I hope to watch the film and see if it competes with the book!

The Dreamer xo

No comments:

Post a Comment